Vanilla Cupcakes with Coconut Butter Frosting
PALEO VANILLA CUPCAKES WITH COCONUT BUTTER FROSTING
I don't know about you but one thing you can't help but miss when following a paleo or grain free diet is a fluffy, fine crumbed vanilla cupcake.
While these aren't 100% a replica of the boxed versions or store-bought cakes we once knew (thank goodness!) the flavour and texture is nearly there!
We loved the mini's and found them to be closest to a fluffy bite of cupcake. Either way you'll really enjoy these celebration cakes!
MAKES: 10 Cupcakes or 24 Mini Cupcakes
TIME: 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Meal
- 3 tablespoons Tapioca Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Powder
- 3 tablespoons Grape Seed Oil or Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 Free-range Eggs
Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease or line your muffin tin or mini cupcake pan and set aside.
In a large bowl combine almond meal, tapioca, baking soda, salt and vanilla with a fork to break up any clumps.
In a small bowl whisk together the oil and maple syrup. Add vanilla and eggs and whisk until creamy and combined.
Add wet mix to dry and stir until batter forms.
Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full using a tablespoon or ice cream scoop.
If making full sized cupcakes bake for 11 minutes until golden.
For minis bake for approximately 7-8 minutes keeping an eye.
Remove and let cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
COCONUT BUTTER FROSTING
- 1/4 cup Cashews, soaked in boiled water for 15-20 minutes, rinsed and drained*
- 1/2 cup Coconut Butter, softened in the microwave for 1 minute. ( I use H2G brand)
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Powder
- 1-2 tablespoons* Maple Sugar (or sweeter of choice such as maple syrup or agave) *Sweeten to your taste.
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons filtered Water or almond milk (if needed)
In a Vitamix or high speed Blender add all ingredients and blend until smooth, adding liquid if needed to assist blending. You can use a hand mixer/beaters or some good muscles and a spatula in a bowl if you prefer.
Taste the frosting as you go and add more sweetener, lemon, vanilla etc. to your liking.
Using a spatula or cake knife, ice cooled cupcakes and serve!
NOTES: I had a request for a nut free version of this frosting. For nut free, omit the cashews and add 2 tablespoons of extra coconut butter. The cashews give the frosting a thick and more stabilized consistency but if you need a nut/cashew free option the coconut butter/coconut oil combination will suffice. I recommend making this version in a bowl with hand mixers as you'll want to limit the excess liquid.